Sunday, July 8, 2012

Raw Vegan "Cheese"cakes

I've been posting (and eating) a lot of sugary desserts lately, so I figure it's time to take a break from those and make a dessert that's actually good for you. The desserts I usually post are healthier than traditional ones, as they have substitutions like coconut oil for butter, and apple purée for eggs, but they're still not exactly health food. These "cheese"cakes actually can be considered healthy and nutritious, and they're delicious! It's a win win!

I've made them in mango and strawberry flavors, but I bet most fruits would be delicious. Blueberry is next on my list. I made these in muffin tins lined with unbleached baking cups (I always walk out of Wild By Nature with something new), but I bet this recipe would work in a traditional cheesecake springform pan. I'll try it for Andrew's birthday next week and fill you in. He was a big fan of the strawberry ones!

I prepared the crust exactly as directed in the original recipe. I've tried other raw vegan crusts, but this one is by far the best. I even got over my intense dislike of stevia for use in the filling and found a brand that doesn't make me gag!

Non-nausea inducing Stevia
The original recipe called for coconut oil and cocoa butter.
I don't have the latter, so I improvised and used coconut butter.
Tasty medjool dates from Blue Mountain Organics.
I went a little nuts recently in their online store.
It's best to freeze these, then let them sit on the counter for a couple minutes before serving.


Raw Vegan "Cheese"cakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Crust:

  • 1 cup raw almonds
  • 1/4 cup packed medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tsp. water
  • Pinch of salt



  1. Grind the almonds in a blender or food processor. Be careful not to over grind them, stop when you reach a crumb consistency.
  2. Roughly chop the dates and grind them in with the almonds until they have turned to crumbs also.
  3. Add the water and salt and grind again until a dough forms.
  4. Press this dough into the bottom of lined muffin tins.


Almond crumbs
The crust in the muffin tins
Filling:

  • 2 cups chopped fruit, such as mangos, strawberries or blueberries
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 3 Tbsp. agave
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 4 drops of liquid stevia
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped (vanilla extract could work, too)
  • 4 Tbsp. coconut butter, melted



  1. Blend all the ingredients in a blended or food processor until everything is thoroughly mixed.
  2. Pour over the crust, and freeze for a few hours until firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment