Saturday, July 7, 2012

Home Grown Part 4: Everything ripening at once

My squash bed seems to have grown rapidly overnight. When I looked under the leaves I was really surprised to see so many ripe zucchini and summer squash. They were just tiny little things the last time I checked, which was only a day or two ago. I even have some winter squash starting to form. I didn't expect to see them so soon!
Overflowing squash bed
Zucchini, ready for picking
And another
The harvest
A winter squash. I bought the seeds in an assorted pack,
so I'm not sure what kind it is yet. Spaghetti, maybe?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this abundance of squash. I've already made crock pot chili and zucchini brownies, and there are still plenty of leftovers. We'll be eating squash everyday for the rest of the summer!

The same goes for beans. I peeked under the leaves and couldn't believe how many were under there! I planted the beans in intervals, so some plants are in full production, while others have just sprouted. I don't have any recipes for them though. In fact, I don't even like them cooked, so I just eat them raw.

Bush beans
Tasty snack

My pea plants reached the end of their fertile days, so I ripped them up and planted new ones. I'm not sure if it's too late to plant them, especially since I planted the first seeds back in April. A couple plants have sprouted, so we'll see!

The garden bed looks so empty without the peas climbing up the driftwood.
Follow my garden progress, with parts 1, 2 and 3 here!

No comments:

Post a Comment