Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Waffles

Waffles make me happy. They remind me of chilly fall weekend mornings growing up, before hitting the tennis court or going to watch my brother's soccer games. My parents could whip up a pretty good breakfast starring waffles made with my mom's ancient waffle maker. Seriously, it's been around probably as long as I have. It's still kicking! Waffles also make me think of sleepovers with friends, when we would quote Donkey from the Shrek series.. "and in the morning, I'm making waffles"! I know you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, it's a tradition I hope to carry on with Logan. I've been using this recipe that I wrote down from somewhere for awhile now, and it's never failed me. I substitute almond milk in place of traditional milk, and it's still just as good. Last time I made it I even squeezed fresh orange juice to go with it. I must have had energy that morning, not to mention an abundance of oranges!


Vegan Chocolate Chip Waffles
Makes about 5 large waffles


  • 1 cup of unbleached flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup of almond milk
  • 1/2 cup of apple purée (that's 4 cubes if you use the ice cube tray method) apple sauce would work here, too.
  • Vegan chocolate chips, or a chopped up chocolate bar


Do I need to write instructions on how to make waffles on a waffle maker? Didn't think so. Enjoy your breakfast!
Waffles make him happy, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment