Thursday, May 3, 2012

Raw Thin Mints

I was sent a recipe for One Green Planet's thin mint recipe from my friend Bri. After hearing her rave about them I had to try it, even though it called for stevia. I just can't stomach the stuff. I figured it couldn't be so bad since a batch only needed 1/2 a teaspoon, so I borrowed the sweetener from my mom and got to work. Bleh! I could taste the stevia in every bite. I ended up tossing the whole thing. I have no idea why I hate that stuff so much. Maybe it's one of those polarizing foods like cilantro, some people love it, other people say it tastes like soap. I was determined to make these work though, so I tried again using a couple substitutions. Since I used up all my protein powder in the first batch, I used homemade almond flour the second time. You can probably buy it in the store, but here's how I make my own: after I make almond milk in the juicer, I dehydrate the pulp, then grind it into a fine powder using the baby bullet. Since there was no way I was using stevia again, I replaced it with agave. I also added a few crushed leaves from an organic chocolate mint plant I picked up over the weekend. It was perfect for these cookies! While the end result wasn't exactly like the girl scout version, these were still delicious and much healthier. Logan and I couldn't get enough of them, and I can't wait until I have more almond flour so I can make them again!


Raw Thin Mints
Makes about 15
The mixture should be about this consistency when you
roll them on the cookie sheet.


  • 3/4 cup of almond flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. of cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. peppermint extra
  • 1 tsp. agave
  • 6 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
  • A few chocolate mint leaves, crushed very fine (optional)



  1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Let the bowl sit on the counter for a few minutes until the mixture has just started to solidify.
  3. Using a melon baller (a spoon would work too, but I have a thing for the melon baller), scoop out small portions of the batter.
  4. Place the scoops of batter on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, and mold them into the desired shape.
  5. Chill the cookie sheet in the fridge for about an hour.
  6. Store covered in the fridge or freezer.

Ready to be chilled

Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment