That said, I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much time to create new recipes. Working full time and spending as much time as I can with Logan doesn't allow me much kitchen time. I'm ok with that though, every day with him is something new. He learned to "swim" yesterday. Equipped with water wings, he headed right into the Long Island Sound until his feet no longer touched the bottom. He kicked his legs around and looked adorable while trying to keep his mouth out of the water. A couple times he became completely submerged, and came back to the surface laughing. I'm so lucky to have a baby that absolutely loves the water! He must get that from me.
I'm straying way too far from food here. Back to the recipe. My garden has been extremely productive, especially the squash bed. I ended up with a large harvest of zucchini last week, and my first thought was zucchini bread. I waited longer than I would have liked to pick a couple of the zucchinis, so some of them grew into monsters. One of them shredded into 8 cups, so I doubled this recipe to use 4 cups and froze the rest of the shreds. These are so delicious, I can't wait to make more!
Citrus Zucchini Bread
Makes two 9 x 5 loaves, or about 72 mini muffins
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup coconut milk (or other non dairy milk)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups of organic sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup apple purée or applesauce
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Juice and zest the lemon. Keep in mind that it's easier to zest a lemon before it has been juiced.
- Put one tablespoon of the lemon juice in a measuring cup. Fill the measuring cup to the one cup line with the non dairy milk. You've just made vegan "buttermilk"! Reserve the rest of the lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and salt together.
- Add the apple purée, oil, reserved lemon juice and "buttermilk", and stir until combined.
- Fold in the lemon zest and zucchini.
- Bake mini muffins for about 15 minutes, and bread loaves for about 45.
|I covered the mini muffins with an orange glaze,|
made by mixing confectioners sugar and fresh squeezed orange juice.