Monday, September 10, 2012

So Long Sweet Summer Peach Cobbler

Peach season never seems long enough to me!
Naked peaches, look away.
We've experienced the first of the fall weather on Long Island. Chilly breezes, crisp air, and the arrival of local fall produce hit Long Island this weekend. After the most humid summer I can ever remember, I'm embracing the change of seasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm a summer girl at heart, but this summer was way too.. sticky. As much as I'm looking forward to the fall, I'll miss the delicious produce that summer has to offer, particularly peaches. There really is nothing like a Long Island peach.

The cool air was welcome this weekend as we ran
the Survival Race 5K.!

A leap off the rock at Big Rock Beach was refreshing after the mud,
but it was freezing on the beach! You can see the clouds that brought
fall with them rolling in.
Sensing the end of the peach season, Logan and I spent a cool morning in a peach orchard, stocking up on the sweet summer fruit. We picked A LOT.



I think the last time I made peach cobbler I was 10. No joke. In 5th grade we were doing a unit on the American Revolution. As an assignment I had to make a recipe from that time period, and Mrs. Jones thought there was nothing more American than peach cobbler. I've been meaning to make it again ever since, but I always end up eating the peaches before they make it into this dish. I didn't have my moms awesome cast iron skillet to make this more authentic, but the stoneware baking dish I had worked well enough.


Vegan Peach Cobbler
Serves 10


  • 6 Tbsp. butter substitute, like smart balance

  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
  • 3/4 cups of sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • I cup coconut milk (from the carton, not canned)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

  • 8 peaches, peeled and sliced
  • Juice from half a lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar in the raw
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon



  1. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ.
  2. Put drops of the butter substitute in a baking dish. The dish I used is about 8 x 12.
  3. Put the dish in the oven until the butter substitute is melted.
  4. Combine the flour, sugar, powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
  5. Add the coconut milk and vanilla, and stir until just combined.
  6. Pour this mixture over the butter in the dish.
  7. In another bowl, mix the peaches, lemon juice and vanilla together.
  8. Spoon the peaches over the mixture in the baking dish.
  9. Top with cinnamon and sugar.
  10. Bake uncovered for about 50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Step 2, butter sub in the baking dish.

Step 6, batter over the butter sub
Step 8, peaches on top of the batter
Step 9, cinnamon and sugar topping
Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment