Friday, September 7, 2012

Holy Hot! Sauce

Andrew's mom grew these really hot peppers this summer.. too hot to eat on their own, even without the seeds. I may have mentioned this once before, but I put hot sauce on everything. I blame my friend Nikki, who always had a bottle in her dorm room, and put it on everything from pizza to popcorn. So when I saw these peppers going uneaten, I had to step in and make them into something that I could handle.

I made this hot sauce late one night while on a cooking kick. It made the kitchen HOT. I don't mean take off the apron (not that I wear one) and turn on the fan hot, I mean all my senses were burning. My eyes were watering, nose was running, and my throat was burning. But oh was it worth it. Move over Franks Red Hot, there's a new hot tamale in the pot!


Holy Hot! Sauce
Makes about 1 1/2 cups


  • 13 cow horn peppers
  • 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. salt


  1. Cut the stems off the peppers and scrape out the seeds.
  2. Put them in a small sauce pan along with the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Bring to a boil, them simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.
  4. Blend the mixture in a blender until everything is mixed and finely chopped.
  5. Filter out the solids by pouring the sauce through a cheesecloth.
  6. Store in a closed jar in the fridge.
  7. Eat on everything!

Simmering
Filtering out the solids.
I used leftover garlic packaging to filter, but a cheesecloth
or any fine mesh will do.

You're going to have to scoop the solids  out of the
top occasionally to keep things flowing through the mesh.
It should look like this when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment