The result was very interesting. At first all I could taste was the cilantro. Like swamp soup, this is a recipe for cilantro fans. After I few seconds I started to taste the pumpkin seeds. The nutritional yeast and garlic added a kick to the flavors to give this dish a unique taste. It's no basil pesto, but it'll do until I get those basil plants growing!
I planned on eating this with spaghetti squash, assuming I had one. It was actually a butternut squash that I had, so I served this over pasta instead. I ate this cold, but it was just as good warm when I ate the leftovers the next day.
Pumpkin Seed Cilantro Pesto
Makes 4 servings
- 2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 bunch of cilantro, thick stems removed
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- Dash of salt
- Roasted red peppers for garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except the peppers) in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve over pasta or spaghetti squash, and garnish with roasted red peppers and extra pumpkin seeds.