Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vegan Tian

Yellow, green, potato, tomato. Yellow, green, potato, tomato. Yellow, green, potato, tomato.

That's what I was saying over and over in my head as I assembled this dish. The inspiration for this recipe came from pinterest. I swapped russet potatoes for sweet potatoes, omitted some animal ingredients, and ended up with a delicious vegan tian.

Thank goodness for the slice-o-matic. It cut perfectly even slices in seconds. Prep time was no more than 20 minutes. I can't wait until squash and tomatoes are in season this summer. I'm sure this will taste even better when I use veggies grown in my own backyard!

Vegan Tian
Serves 4 


  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 small sweet potatoes, sliced
  • 1 yellow squash, sliced
  • 1 green squash, sliced
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
  • Fresh or dried thyme



  1. Preheat the oven to 350º.
  2. Sauté the opinions and garlic in the oil until the onions become soft, about 10 minutes.
  3. Spread the sautéed onions and garlic in the bottom of a pie dish.
  4. Working in a spiral pattern, layer the veggies on top of the onions.
  5. Sprinkle and garnish with thyme.
  6. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
  7. Serve warm.

Saute the onions until they are soft
 and just beginning to brown.
Start layering.

No comments:

Post a Comment