Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Quest to Find the Perfect Vegan Brownie

Since I began vegan baking, I've been searching for the perfect brownie. I want a recipe that turns out moist, chewy, fudgey, chocolatey brownies. I didn't think it would be this difficult! I've tried a few recipes so far, and none have hit the mark. So far all I've turned out are dry, cake like confections.

When I tried the latest recipe, I was less discouraged. The recipe, from allrecipes.com promised delicious vegan brownies. I made some changes to the original recipe, which may have been for better or worse. Two-thirds of a cup of oil seemed like a lot, so I added half the oil and 1/3 cup of apple purée. I left out the stevia. I've never tried it, but something about it just seems off putting. Plus, people who reviewed the recipe said it was an unnecessary addition. I also used almond milk instead of soy.

Well, it wasn't as cakey as my other attempts. It tasted more like a cake that was supposed to be fudgey. Better, but still not what I'm looking for. Since it was my best attempt so far, I've decided it deserves a spot in Resolution Kitchen. This won't be my last try, so stay tuned for brownie updates!


Vegan Brownies



My Uncle Mark added the Peeps!
They're not vegan, but I loved every bite anyways.

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl, mix cocoa, oil, apple, and water.
  3. Add the sugar and stir until combined.
  4. Stir in the milk and vanilla.
  5. Add the flower and baking powder and mix until smooth.
  6. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 9 pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment