Friday, March 23, 2012

Salsa

This salsa and I, it's love.

I found a salsa on Pinterest that used fire roasted tomatoes. How delicious does that sound? If I had more ambition/time/hands I would have roasted my own tomatoes, but I found a can at Pathmark, and it did the trick. The Pinterest recipe called other assortments of cans and jars, but I found fresh substitutes that worked, too. I found fun little peppers at a great little produce place in my neighborhood. I'm not sure what kind they are, the sign just said "mixed peppers", but they were a great addition to the salsa. They look like jalapenos, but are red, yellow and orange, and they're sweet. I guess any kind of sweet pepper would work here, so if you want to reproduce this recipe and can't find them, a bell pepper would do the trick. The great part about salsa is how versatile it is. You can add more of what you like, leave out what you don't, and experiment with different ingredients. I've tried other salsas before, but this one is my best to date. I've made it catered to my taste (more jalapeno and cilantro please!), and it's totally me.


Salsa
Makes 3 cups-ish

  • 14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tomatoes on the vine, diced
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • 5 small mixed peppers (or 1 red bell pepper), seeded and diced
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  1. Combine everything in a blender or food processor and blend until you've reached the desired consistency. 





The makings of a perfect salsa.
This jalapeno seeder was perfect for this recipe, and it's fun to use!
Blurry picture, but I liked the way everything looked layered in here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment