Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins

You know what the best part about vegan baking is? You can eat as much of the batter as you want. So I do. I probably end up with one less muffin or so because of it, but I can't help myself!

This was the first baked goods recipe I altered to make it vegan. It was the first time I used apples as an egg substitute, and oil instead of butter. It came out perfect the first time, and it's a recipe I make again and again. Unsurprisingly Logan goes nuts for them, and so does Andrew. I've made it with any combination of unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, plain white sugar and turbinado sugar. It all works so use whatever you have on hand.


Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Makes 12 muffins


  • 1/2 cup apple purée
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin purée (about 1/2 of a 15 oz. can)
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Vegan chocolate bar or chocolate chips (about 3 oz.)


  1. Preheat the oven to 400º.
  2. Mix the apple, sugar, pumpkin and oil in a large bowl.
  3. Add the flour, soda, powder, and pumpkin pie spice and mix thoroughly.
  4. Stir in the chocolate.
  5. Pour into a greased muffin tin and bake for 17 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment