Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mmm Brussels Sprouts

While rummaging through the fridge I noticed that I had A LOT of brussels sprouts. They've been in there for awhile, and I wanted to use them all up. A resolution of mine is to reduce food waste, so they all needed to be used. I have a recipe for a brussels sprout casserole from Martha Stewart Living that bakes them in a béchamel sauce. As much as I love creamy, cheesy béchamel, another resolution is to eat less animal product. I googled brussels sprouts recipes, while trying my hardest to resist cheese cravings. I came across a recipe for a brussels sprout orzo salad. Orzo is not an ingredient in the pantry, but there is more brown rice than I know what to do with. I made a few other changes, including ingredients and cooking methods.

This dish, along with a creamy vinaigrette I made with it, were big hits. Andrew and Logan couldn't get enough of it. We ate it as a side dish with fish (so much for a vegan meal, but it looked so delicious in the seafood section at Stop and Shop!), but this could be eaten as a main course.

When I'm cooking it's very rare to see me with a measuring cup or spoons. I just don't have the patients, nor do I have a dishwasher. The less dishes I use, the better. I'll try to guess how much of each ingredient I used, but it's basically to taste.

By the way, I always thought it was brussel sprouts, not brussels sprouts. Who knew? Thanks spell check.



Brussels Sprouts and Brown Rice Casserole
Makes about 6 servings
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
  • 1.5 lbs. of brussels sprouts
  • 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained*
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • Brown rice (enough for 6 servings
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cook rice according to package directions.
Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Return mixture to the bowl and combine with the cooked rice.
Serve warm.

*note: I avoid canned food whenever possible to reduce BPA exposure, but canned organic Green Way chickpeas are what I had on hand. You can also use 1 cup of dry chick peas, soaked overnight.

Mustard Vinaigrette
  • 4 Tbsp. ginger, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 4 Tbsp. dijon mustard
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 6 Tbsp. cider vinegar
  • Dash of salt
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of olive oil
Pulse ginger, cloves and garlic in a blender.
Add the rest of the ingredients, ending by slowing adding the oil to achieve desired consistency.
Serve on top of the casserole.


No comments:

Post a Comment