Monday, January 9, 2012

So, I guess I'm a blogger

This seems like a terrible idea. I've never read a blog, my literary skills are admittedly lacking, and I never commit to anything. Resolution Kitchen can either fade out over the next couple weeks, or I could become an avid blogger. My hopes are for the latter. Besides the daily antics and milestones set by Logan, my 14 month old son (who everyone must be really tired of hearing me talk about), the only part of my day worth mentioning usually happens in the kitchen. Sad- yes, but I guess that's what happens when you graduate college and become a stay at home mom. In truth, I'm proud of my food creations.

I'm not the kind of cook who can open the fridge and turn out this amazing meal without following any structure. I need inspiration from sources like family recipes, cookbooks, photos, cooking shows and websites. However, I don't think I've ever followed a recipe exactly as it's been written. Part of what I'm proud of is the fact that I alter these recipes and make them my own. Since I've discovered Logan's milk and egg allergy, most of the alterations substitute animal products for healthier, plant based ingredients.
One of my New Year's resolutions is to consume less animal product. I've never been a big meat eater. Years ago, my New Year's resolution was to become a vegetarian. It lasted until I caved three years later on New Year's Eve and ate an Italian hero. Oops. My goal this year is not to follow a strict vegan diet, but to avoid animal products when possible. While improved health and reduced environmental impact are the main reasons, I also would like to be able to cook one meal that the whole family can eat, instead of mini meals for everyone. Logan's food allergies have driven us away from eggs and milk products, including butter and cheese, and I won't even get started on how disgusting and environmentally taxing the meat industry is.

Resolution Kitchen will feature the edible creations born in my kitchen. While most of it will be vegan, I can't guarantee that the occasional meat dish or other animal sourced ingredient won't sneak in here. As I said, my goal is not to become a complete vegan, just to drastically reduce animal products from my diet. Cheese is my favorite food after all, and I could never give that up completely.

Oh and if you're looking for fancy, artsy food photos- keep it moving. All the pictures you'll see have been taken with my iPhone through my unimaginative viewpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment