Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mom's Veggie Stew

I can't take credit for this one since I've never made it myself, but my mom has on several occasions. Last night being the most recent. For years now the family has been gathering for dinner almost every Friday night. Mom usually does the cooking for my dad, three brothers, Grandpa, Uncle Mark and cousin Liam. It's always a vegetarian dish since Grandpa is a vegetarian, and has been since he boycotted the meat market in the 70's. This particular Friday night she made a vegan dish to accommodate Logan, and to support my dietary changes. She's always been a very obliging chef, especially during my vegetarian phase that lasted three years.

This vegetable stew recipe came from a cook book that my mom has had since the 70's. It's called Vegetarian Gothic, and is full of meat free recipes and sayings about peace, love and all that other cliche hippie stuff.
 

It's been so used that the cover is missing, it's torn into two sections, and the pages are splotched with mystery food stains, but it's still a great cook book. The page displaying the veggie stew recipe is discolored and so with so many stains, adding even more character to the book.

Like me, mom never follows recipes exactly. She used oil instead of butter to make it vegan. The rosemary was omitted. I'm all for rosemary, but there's a time and a place for everything, and that herb does not have a place in this stew. Tamari was replaced with soy sauce, it's less viscous and more salty cousin. The dish came out perfect. It was thick, hearty and had a creamy texture. I can't think of a better meal for a chilly, windy night. This will definitely be made again in my own kitchen. I borrowed the cook book, so you can look forward to other recipe inspirations from it. So for our sisters and brothers, we wish you much joy (with this recipe).



Mom's Veggie Stew
Serves 12

  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 green peppers, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 4 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed
  • 2 yellow squash, chopped
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 4 cups water
Saute the onions and green pepper in oil in a large dutch oven until tender.
Add the rest of the ingredients and cover.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until everything is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment