Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Honey Lime Sauce

I just made the tastiest dish. It was my own creation, so I better write it down before I forget. This might be the first dish I ever created using just my imagination and the ingredients already in the kitchen.


Quinoa Salad with Honey Lime Sauce
Serves about 4

Quinoa Salad:
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 acorn squash; seeded, skin removed, and diced
  • 1 cup of quinoa
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 15 oz. can of black beans; drained and rinsed
Honey Lime Sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey*
  • Zest from 1 lime
  • Juice from 1/2 a lime
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • Pinch of salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 400ยบ.
  2. Combine oil and squash in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
  4. Combine the quinoa with the water in a covered pot and cook for about 18 minutes.
  5. When the squash and quinoa are done, combine in a bowl with the black beans.
  6. Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl.
  7. Serve the salad and drizzle with the sauce.
This recipe for the sauce only makes a small amount, but a little goes a long way. You can always double the recipe if you don't think you have enough. I hope you enjoy my creation!

*There is some debate over whether honey should be considered vegan. I agree that technically it is an animal product. The honey I use comes from a neighbor, who I know treats her bees very humanely and harvests the honey sustainably. So yes it is an animal product, but I don't feel bad using it. Especially since it works wonders on my allergies!

No comments:

Post a Comment