Quinoa Salad with Honey Lime Sauce
Serves about 4
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 acorn squash; seeded, skin removed, and diced
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans; drained and rinsed
Honey Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey*
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Combine oil and squash in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Combine the quinoa with the water in a covered pot and cook for about 18 minutes.
- When the squash and quinoa are done, combine in a bowl with the black beans.
- Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve the salad and drizzle with the sauce.
This recipe for the sauce only makes a small amount, but a little goes a long way. You can always double the recipe if you don't think you have enough. I hope you enjoy my creation!
*There is some debate over whether honey should be considered vegan. I agree that technically it is an animal product. The honey I use comes from a neighbor, who I know treats her bees very humanely and harvests the honey sustainably. So yes it is an animal product, but I don't feel bad using it. Especially since it works wonders on my allergies!