Thursday, January 19, 2012

Veggie Stoup

Stew + Soup = Stoup

I found a recipe online for a veggie stew. I changed some ingredients and cooking methods, and the result was.. interesting. It had the heartiness of a stew due to the chunky vegetables, with a liquid consistency of a soup broth. I guess you could omit the water for a thicker consistency, and rely on the tomatoes and wine for liquid. I'll try that next time and post my results.

I was looking for an excuse to use the Slice O Matic I got for Christmas, so I sliced the potatoes. Slicing and chopping veggies is my least favorite part of cooking, so the Slice O Matic and the Vidalia Chopper are my best friends in the kitchen. Anyways, slicing the potatoes was NOT the best idea. It made the dish awkward to eat with a spoon, and Logan was having trouble picking them up with his chubby hands. I'll definitely be cutting them into cubes next time.

Recipes like this are great because you can add almost any vegetable (or beans) you have on hand, and you can season it to taste with just about any spice. Plus, it calls for wine. I love cooking with wine. It adds an umani quality to the dish, and who doesn't like a glass of vino while preparing dinner?


Veggie Stoup
Serves 4-6
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 small potatoes, cubed
  • 2 cups of brussels sprouts, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup of dry white wine
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 tsp. dried basil
  • 5 or 6 stalks of asparagus, sliced into one inch segments


  1. In a large pot, sauté oil and onion and garlic over a medium flame for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the potatoes and brussels and cook for another 3 minutes.
  3. Raise the heat slightly and add the wine.
  4. When the wine has reduced slightly, add the water, tomatoes and spices.
  5. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer over a low flame for 20 minutes.
  6. Add the asparagus, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the veggies are tender.
  7. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment