Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spinach and Chick Peas

I came across this recipe while browsing through the vegan link of the Big Girls Small Kitchen website. It's a great site by the way, and I'll definitely be getting more ideas from them. The recipe detailed a few steps that I didn't have time for, so I changed the cooking method and a couple ingredients to make it my own. Prep time was less than 10 minutes, and it was super easy. It was delicious, too! The entire dish was gone by the time the three of us finished dinner. Logan probably ate as much as Andrew and I did. He couldn't get enough of the chick peas! The only thing I would do differently is add more spices next time to boost the flavor, but this will definitely become a regular in our house. It's perfect if you're looking for a quick, light meal. The original recipe calls it a stew. The liquid in this version never thickened enough for me to consider it a stew, but that could be because I skipped the oven step. When serving I just scooped everything out, leaving the small amount of liquid behind.



Spinach and Chick Peas
Serves 3-4
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bunch of baby spinach
  • 1 15 oz. can of chick peas, drained
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
Heat the oil in a large skillet with a lid and cook the onions until translucent.
Add the water and spinach, and cook until the spinach begins to wilt.
Add the chick peas, tomatoes, salt, paprika and cumin. Stir until combined.
Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment