Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cantaloupe Bread

I adapted this bread from a recipe sent to me by my creative culinary coworker, Terra. She saw cantaloupes ripening past their prime one day and made bread with them. Genius! The second she told me about them I knew I had to make a vegan version. Logan loves cantaloupe!


Cantaloupe Bread
Makes 2 loaves
  • 2 cups cantaloupe, mashed
  • 1 cup organic sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup safflower oil
  • 3 cups unbleached flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • Egg replacer (replaces 3 eggs):
    • 9 Tbsp. water
    • 6 Tbsp. unbleached flour
    • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
    • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ.   40 minutes
  2. Combine all ingredients except the egg replacer in a large bowl and mix until combined.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer until thick and foamy.
  4. Add the egg replacer to the rest of the ingredients and stir until incorporated.
  5. Pour into two greased 9 x 5 bread pans, and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment