Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Quest to Find the Perfect Vegan Brownie- Part 3

Ok I've almost got this down. I've been searching for the perfect vegan brownie recipe. I've had a couple near successes so far, with one recipe producing cake like brownies, and another one that was more moist, but not as fudgy as I'm looking for. After a failed attempt or two, I finally came up with these. They're moist, fudgy and rich. A little too rich though, since they're incredibly sweet. It's not too often that I say something is too sweet, but I could only have a few small bites of these before my sweet tooth objected. They really hit the spot when you have a craving for sweets, that's for sure. I have a couple ideas on how to perfect this one, so stay tuned for part 4!

Example of a failed attempt. Not sure what happened here..
Logan is having a great time on this "quest",
especially since he's my official taste tester. The
Christmas decorations in the background are an
indicator of how long I've been at this.


Sweet Brownies!


  • 1/2 cup apple purée or applesauce
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt


  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the banana with the apple purée.
  3. Stir in the coconut oil.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
  5. Pour the batter in a greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment