Makes about 2 dozen
- I eggplant, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 loose handful of basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lay the eggplant slices on a paper towel, covered with a sprinkling of salt, to drain for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- One the eggplant has drained, brush off the salt and excess water with a paper towel.
- Lay the eggplant slices in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the eggplant is roasting, combine the onion, basil, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- When the eggplant is done roasting, flip the slices over.
- Top each slice with a tomato, followed by a scoop of the onion mixture.
- Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.