Sunday, April 22, 2012

Smashed Chickpea Avocado Salad

I've had very little time to cook lately, let alone blog about my kitchen creations. I've gone to back to work, and I'm starting to see the challenges of being a working mom. Logan is having a hard time dealing with me being gone, so when I'm home he's super clingy and doesn't let me get anything done!

Office with a view
My garden is taking a lot of my time also. I'm not sure what kind of gardening people refer to as "relaxing", but vegetable gardening isn't it. At least not when you're starting from the ground up, literally. I already have one existing 5 x 6 raised bed to work with, but I want bigger! With the help of the best dad in the world I built three 6 x 8 planting beds. After filling two of them with three yards of compost (that I filled myself!) and planting some seeds that withstand the cooler temperatures (not that we've been having any on Long Island) I finally have my garden going. It took me so long that it deserves it's own blog post, so maybe it will get one.

What I'm getting at here is that with all my time being expended in other areas, I've been looking for quick, easy recipes. I found just that with a mashed chickpea and avocado sandwich. It took only about 5 minutes to make, and my sandwich was assembled while the carrots for honey mustard carrots were steaming. It made for a light week night meal, and the leftovers were great for lunch the next day.


Smashed Chickpea Avocado Salad
Makes about 4 sandwiches


  • 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 avocado
  • Juice from 1 limes
  • 1/4 cup of cilantro leaves
  • 2 Tbsp. scallions
  • Salt and pepper to taste.



  1. Using a potato masher, mash the chickpeas and avocado together in a bowl.
  2. Mix in the cilantro, scallions, salt and pepper.
  3. Serve on your bread of choice with lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment