Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Mousse

I was trying to make a chocolate pudding, but ended up with mousse instead. I may have whipped the coconut too much, or maybe it was due to the addition of cooled chocolate, but instead of a creamy dessert I came up with a light, fluffy one. I'm ok with that! I've already concocted a delicious vegan chocolate pudding anyways.

This mousse requires only two ingredients. Coconut milk and a vegan chocolate bar. I used Ghiradelli Intense Dark chocolate. It has a 72% cacao content, which to me is perfect! I could eat that chocolate everyday (and I do). Be careful when selecting Ghiradelli chocolate though if you're avoiding animal ingredients, most of their other bars contain milk products.

After scooping the solid part from the can.
Before you start, you have to refrigerate a 15 oz can of coconut milk overnight. I always have a can in the fridge for times like this! Don't use the light stuff, you need the fat of the coconut milk to solidify. When you open the can, the liquid will have separated and will be at the bottom of the can. Using a spatula, scoop out the solid layer into a bowl. Whip it with an electric mixer until it becomes light and airy. What you have now is coconut whipped cream that is excellent on fruit! Whip in the chocolate and voila! Chocolate mousse.

I finally found a use for the whisk attachment to my electric mixer.

I wish I could make this look prettier, but it tastes better than it looks!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Makes 4 servings


Melt the chocolate in a double broiler
or in the microwave. Cool it slightly,
but make sure it's still smooth.

  • 1 15 oz can of coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge.
  • 1 3.5 oz bar of vegan chocolate, melted and cooled, but still liquid.



  1. Scoop the solidified coconut milk into a bowl, avoiding the liquid at the bottom of the can.
  2. Whip with an electric mixer until light and airy.
  3. Add the chocolate while still mixing, and mix until you've reached the desired fluffy consistency.
  4. Enjoy right away, or keep in the fridge until serving (you might need to rewhip it, depending on how long it stayed in the fridge for).

No comments:

Post a Comment